Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Homework Week 8, Anissa Tchoub













Sorry for the delay, I thought that it would make more sense to do these once I got my tablet, which was this weekend.

The theme of my final project comes from a much larger story that I've been developing for a long time. It is summed up nicely in an excerpt from a ballad I wrote to serve as the prologue. The story, told from the point of view of a god of war, is as follows:

"...I am sure you know full well

What passed two centuries before.

The state Amanna was at war

With the nation Ynnebār,

Who outnumbered them by far.

They lost their cities, one by one,

And the war seemed nearly won

By the Ynnebār, except

Arvoreë (AR-voh-RAY) still stood erect ---

The capitol of their fair land,

A city plentiful and grand.

The Ynnebār were keen to fight:

They sieged the city in the night,

Slaying woman, child and man,

Burning every house that stands.


Of the priests in that fair stead

[Sarleng Sellas] was the head.

There he was the foremost sage,

Though he was ill, and bent with age.


And while the Ynnebār laid waste,

Magicians in the church made haste

To flee the fire and safety find.

But [Sarleng Sellas] stayed behind;

Near the altar-plate he stood

And pulled the threads as best he could,

Evoking Me with all his might,

So that I may help them fight…


How could I disregard his pleas?

How could I let his land be seized?

And, friends, I loved Amanna well...

Through the portal-ring I fell,

Succumbing to its gaping maw,

And, emerging safely, saw

That the Evoker lay askew,

Dead in his great efforts to

Save his nation from the scourge.

The Ynnebār, meanwhile, were verg

e

To flood the temple with their men

--- Nay, their dogs! and, brothers, then

I took my spear up in one hand,

My sword took with the other, and

Before the moon had left the sky,

Before the fateful night went by,

I drove them back from Amman lands.

The city Arvoreë still stands."


The exposition scene is an exterior view of this city being razed. To better clarify which side is which, the good guy in the picture (the Amman) is well-lit and shown in a position that creates sympathy from the viewer --- protecting his

family; whereas the "bad guys" (the Ynnebār) are shown as faceless sharp silhouettes that are threatening the Amman man.


I ran into some trouble with Week 9. Since I had already decided on the composition, the only thing that was left to decide was the colour scheme. I tried doing it intuitively and the result was pretty terrible...
















I am going to try re-doing it in class today with a monochromatic colour scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment